Princess Race weekend is here!! This is my first race postpartum and I cannot wait to run through Epcot and cross the finish line with a glass of champs waiting for me. I’m hitting the expo tonight!
Princess Race Weekend is one of my favorite Disney running events. It was the first race I ever did and the perfect half marathon for your first time. I’ve run a race during Princess weekend every year since, with the exception of last year because of my marathon just a few weeks prior.
After doing lots of races, especially Disney ones, I’ve nailed down my routine for race weekends. From the (super) early wakeup calls to pre-run fueling, I wanted to walk you through my process!
The Night Before
It’s race weekend tradition that me and my best friend have a sleepover to carb up the night before and then get ready and leave together for the race in the morning. This is the little routine we’ve nailed down over years of doing races together!
Before the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in DC 2014!
I always set out my clothes, fuel, and every thing I need for the morning. Who wants to run around and pack up stuff at 2:30 in the morning?! See the wakeup call.
Then it’s time to carb up! For a half marathon, we usually do a whole wheat pasta with meat sauce or grilled chicken. I personally like to avoid alfredo or cheese sauces, because to me running and cheese don’t mix. For a 10k, we’ll usually grill some turkey burgers with chips and salsa or oven baked sweet potato fried..and we don’t skip out on a wheat bun! And dessert!! 😉
I make sure to chug a lot of water and make sure my running buddy is as well. Gotta stay hydrated!! Hydration is KEY. You definitely need to begin hydrating for a race the days leading up to it.
Then it’s bedtime! We try to go somewhere around 9 to get in a decent amount of sleep before the morning. See you in the morning!
2:30-3am. Wakeup call. UGH. SOEARLYWHY. This wakeup call is much earlier for Disney races then most others.
Immediately begin drinking water. Then I start getting ready, taking about 20 minutes or throw on some mascara because #RACEPHOTOS, brush my teeth, and put any of the last few things in my bag to check.
I usually snack on a banana while I’m getting ready before I leave the house. It’s easy on my stomach, loaded with electrolytes, and holds me over for my big morning ahead!
Time to hit the road! We aim to get to the Epcot parking lot no later than 4am. We give ourselves PLENTY of time because of traffic, road closures, and anything else that comes up. See tips below!
Typically for Disney you need to be in your corral place for 5:30am. Again, we plan to give ourselves a lot of time because there’s usually a .5 mile+ walk to the start line, major lines to bathrooms, and any other issues that could hold you up.
Before checking our bag at Gear Check, we hit the porta potty lines. The lines before gear check are ALWAYS the longest. There are porta potties as you walk to the corrals, but we hit those too. After a pee break, we stash our bag with gear check.
As we walk to the corrals, we share a PBJ that we packed the night before. After one last potty break, we’re in our corral for 5am.
And that’s it! We eagerly wait for the race to begin, marked by fireworks at every corral start and then we’re off!
Last Few Tips
- Plan for road closures and know you’re going. Disney has bunches of roads closed for their races, plus they shut down the roads getting you to the start line after a certain time. It would be so unfortunate to miss out on a race you trained hard for because of transportation!
- Get there earlier than you think. Long bathroom lines will most definitely hold you up..especially since you’ve been hydrating!
- If you’re running with a buddy, share a bag for gear check. After the race there can be long lines as everyone wants to pickup their stuff. Saves time to just check one bag!
- Make sure to get waters from the store in a bottle that you don’t mind tossing. I always buy the big smart waters to have the morning of so that I can dispose of it before the race begins. I don’t want to lose one of my good reusable water bottles!
- Have your cheer squad figure out runner tracking BEFORE the race day. Sometimes you need to download an app and it’s better to figure it out before the race so you’re not worried about figuring it out and missing your runners go by!
So there’s some tips and my no fail race routine! Checkout some of my other runDisney posts below! Are you running Princess this weekend?? See you at the 10k on Saturday!
Star Wars 10k Recap
My First Half Marathon
My First Marathon
Ariel Princess Race Outfit Inspo
Beauty and the Beast Race Outfit Inspo